Forum

[Sticky] A Quick Hello  

RSS
Josh Campbell
(@josh-campbell)
Member Admin

Hey Everyone,

This community is a simple start to what I think will be the most significant part of this project, ALL of you! As ReactorForge grows, this area will evolve to fit its needs. Feel free to make suggestions where you see a need.

For now, I see this as a place for asking questions and starting relevant discussions. Making your inquiries here will ensure that others may benefit from the answers and that I/we need only answer them once(ish). I enjoy being able to answer your questions but I want to prevent that from becoming a burden which slows overall progress. I'm hoping this will help get ahead of that. 

See you all around!

This topic was modified 12 months ago by Josh Campbell
Posted : October 3, 2018 11:00 pm
edgar reyna
(@edgar-reyna)

hello from Mexico

the project its very cool i love it

have ever you tried to heat a pice of tungsten?

i can heat or melt a piece of copper or iron , but when i put tungsten my igbt colapse gate emisor mostly 

please try in yours and tell my your experiences

i have a gate transformer drive because my induction heater are from 0 to 5kw of power 

but i think a need that gate drive that you are selling 

i have a full bridge igbt 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 6:30 pm
Josh Campbell
(@josh-campbell)
Member Admin

Hey Edgar, no I have not tried heating tungsten. I'd have to pick a piece that is larger than an incandescent filament (that's probably the only tungsten I have laying around). Something like this maybe: https://amzn.to/2QLW8Fg What is the size of the tungsten you are trying to heat?

Also, tungsten is paramagnetic which means it will take a bit more power to heat it similar to aluminum. Paramagnetic and diamagnetic materials are simply called nonmagnetic materials. Relative magnetic permeability is the ability of a material to conduct a magnetic flux. Since it is not as efficient at conducting the magnetic lines of flux as say, a mild steel workpiece, it takes a relatively higher power level to reach the same heating capacity.

Yes, the driver makes a big difference. The good old "trusty" gate transformer is a good starting point, but it woefully underperforms in a high power switching applications. And a gate transformer style driver effectively has no safety features.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Josh Campbell
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2018 1:32 pm
jmytyk
(@jmytyk)

Hi Josh, 

Very cool project you have going here -- definitely on my list of things to build for the shop (maybe even in '19) 

_J

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2019 2:58 pm
Share: