Forum

Capacitance and capacitors rating  

RSS
drogus
(@drogus)

I started looking into different designs of induction heaters and it seems that for powerful heaters like >=10kW people at least a few µF with a few hundred amps rating capacitors. What's a minimum for ReactorForge?

And regarding manufacturers, it seems most people use Celems, but I've seen Chinese water cooled capacitors as well, for example on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/af/water-cooled-capacitor.html?SearchText=water+cooled+capacitor&d=y&initiative_id=SB_20190114153544&origin=n&catId=0&isViewCP=y&jump=afs Has anyone tried anything other than Celems? Is there a huge difference?

Posted : January 14, 2019 5:46 pm
edgar reyna
(@edgar-reyna)

hi, 

celem capacitor are better  quality than the chinese  capacitors, but celem capacitors are more expensive.. I had a few short circuit i think more than 10!!  and my cpacitor always its ok ..  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2019 5:13 pm
drogus
(@drogus)

Thanks for a reply!

I was also wondering about frequency rating on these capacitors, but I think I have better understanding of it now. If anyone else is curious - capacitors' ratings change with frequency and maximum current rating will be usually much smaller in a low frequency as compared to a high frequency.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 31, 2019 4:19 am
edgar reyna
(@edgar-reyna)

you can also use Illinois capacitors in mouser electronics those are wather cooler or air cooler

i work with my 6.3 uf celem capacitor at 45 - 60 khz  at 18 amps 240vac 

you can check the datasheet and  You can design your tank circuit so that it works at the frequency you need

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 31, 2019 9:27 am
drogus
(@drogus)

I think that in the end I'll probably start with some chinese stuff for my first induction heater because I wouldn't want to blow up a Celem capacitor with my limited experience and then when I'll be ready to build a more powerful heater, I'll try to get a Celem capacitor. I've seen lots of used capacitors on Ebay, I might give one a try. They're rather rare in Europe, but I usually visit USA at least once in a year, so I'll probably buy something on my next visit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 2, 2019 2:21 pm
Share: